Ever since I started understanding English, I have been constantly entertained by its local variations. But the one which I don't enjoy, but in fact irritates me is no-ism. Some examples of Hinglish; how expert we (read: mostly female souls) are at making a lingual curry:
Chalo na!
Come no!
Kitna cute bachcha hai na?
What a cute kid, no?
Hum wahan ja rahe hai na?
We are going there, no?
But times are changing. Very soon Indian English is going to be the most widely spoken variety of English throughout the world. So I have no choice but to start enjoying this no-ism. But still, if you ask me, "this still irritates you, no?", Yes. Almost.

1 comment:
Rather than us getting used with the American and UK version of English, very soon the Westerners will have to get accustomed with the Asian way of speaking English. Point well made..
Post a Comment